1. Which of the following is an advantage of getting a device with a pre-installed NOS or OS?
*It is optimized for the particular hardware installed.
It compounds the need for a complex installation process.
It does not support custom and legacy applications.
It completes configuration of server-specific features.
2. Which task should be performed before installing a NOS?
Change the system hardware and peripherals before beginning.
*Verify that the NOS supports all application software that will run on the server.
Run the evaluator software prior to loading to establish hardware settings.
Be familiar with the NOS so configuration questions can be ignored.
3. Most NOSs will only run on certain hardware configurations. There are typically 4 key elements of the system's hardware that must meet the minimum requirements of the NOS. Choose the list that contains these elements.
1. CPU speed, RAM, NIC, hard disk space.
2. CPU type, CPU speed, RAM, hard disk space.
3. CPU type, RAM, NIC, CD ROM drive.
4. CPU type, RAM, CPU speed, CD ROM drive.
4. What is the best source of information for the latest hardware compatibility list?
*the World Wide Web
a hardware manual
a software manual
the CD-ROM Read Me document
5. Which Windows utility can be used to perform a hardware inventory?
6. The ping command is used to test network connectivity. What is the best IP address to ping for this test?
the DNS address
the loopback address
the local NIC address
*the default gateway address
7. When preparing for a CD-ROM based NOS installation, which BIOS setting is important to the system administrator?
Boot Up Floppy Seek: Enabled
Swap Floppy Drive: Disabled
*Boot Sequence: CD-ROM, C
Quick Power On Self Test: Enabled
8. All of the following are functions of an installation program except:
*ensure interoperability of components
request user input for configuration information
provide a default set of configuration options
simplify the installation process
9. What are logical divisions on a hard disk called?
10. How is the root partition identified in Linux?
11. When setting up a hard disk, what are the three possible types of partitions?
primary, secondary, and logical
*primary, logical, and extended
C, D, and E
boot, program, and data
12. In Windows 9x and Linux, why is it important to keep a startup floppy containing the MBR?
The startup floppy disk with the MBR must be used to boot from multiple partitions.
*The floppy disk can be used to boot the system if the MBR on the first sector of the hard disk is corrupt.
The MBR on the floppy keeps an error log for troubleshooting purposes.
The startup floppy disk with MBR defines the size of partitions on startup.
13. A DOS-type partition table can describe how many primary partitions?
14. What is the maximum number of extended partitions supported in any partitioning scheme?
15. What is the first sector of a hard drive called on systems that use DOS-type partitioning?
16. What is virtual memory?
logical RAM that is created during installation
memory that is installed on the logic board
memory that can only be used by high-end programs
*hard disk space that is used to supplement RAM
17. UNIX systems typically dedicate an entire partition to virtual memory. What is this partition called?
the RAM partition
*the swap partition
the page partition
the memory partition
18. What are valid file systems for a UNIX or Linux partition?
EXT1 and EXT2
*EXT3 and UFS
UFS and EXT1
LFS and EXT2
19. What are the default names of the administrative accounts on a Windows and UNIX NOS, respectively?
20. What is the maximum number of primary partitions allowed in a Sun-type partition table?
21. When a computer is turned on, what is the first step every computer will do regardless of the operating system?
22. In Windows 2000, which file is only used when the computer is set up to dual-boot?