1. Which are three reasons a company may choose Linux over Windows as an operating system? (Choose three.)
It is difficult to buy a new computer with a server version of Windows pre-installed.
There is more application software available for Linux.
*Running a Linux server without a GUI will increase efficiency and reliability. This option is not available in server versions of Windows.
*After a user has purchased a copy of Linux, it can be installed on any number of computers for no additional charge.
After a user has purchased a copy of Windows, it can be installed on any number of computers for no additional charge.
*By default, users must provide a username and password to log into a Linux system, which improves system security.
2. What are three network operating systems? (Choose three.)
3. What are three important considerations when designing a server? (Choose three.)
monitor screen size
*hard disk type
sound card capabilities
4. Which distribution is one of the oldest and viewed as being one of the most significant?
5. When developing a network security plan, what are three factors that should be considered? (Choose three.)
*the type of business conducted by the company and any laws pertaining to confidentiality of data
the type of hardware being used by the company
the geographic location and industry ranking of the company
*the type of data stored on the company network
*the management philosophy and how it is presented to employees
6. Which two of the following commands can be used to configure security for a Linux system that is acting as a dedicated firewall? (Choose two.)
7. Which statement accurately describes the Slackware Linux distribution?
It is designed for Linux novices.
It has a range of user interfaces and uses RPM.
*It is designed for advanced users and uses text-based configuration tools.
It is intended solely for non-profit organizations and uses the Debian package manager.
8. An instructor in a small college is putting together systems on which students will practice installing Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The instructor has been given 133 MHz Pentium computers with 128 MB of RAM, 2 GB hard drive, and a 12X CD-ROM drive. Which component needs to be upgraded to bring the machines up to the recommended standard for Windows 2000 Advanced Server?
9. In Windows 2000 Professional, which of the following functions can a user perform without administrator rights?
*add a mapping to a network printer
manage the domain configuration
assign permissions to a user account
manage security policies
10. A technician in a small company has been asked to install Windows 2000 onto a laptop that belongs to a manager. Which installation option should the technician choose?
11. Which three of the following file systems can be used to format a Windows NOS partition? (Choose three.)
12. What are two ways a Windows client can connect to a shared network printer? (Choose two.)
*Add Printer Wizard
Net Connection Wizard
net connect command
*net use command
13. If network users cannot access an FTP server, what are two ways to stop and restart the FTP service on a Windows 2000 server? (Choose two.)
use the IIS Wizard
*click on the Services and Applications > Services tab in the MMC
enter netstat -halt at the command line
*select Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
select IIS Maintenance Console > Services
14. How can a technician change the IP address of a Windows 2000 system?
run cmd and then enter the command ipconfig
right-click on My Computer and then Properties > Network Connections > TCP Settings
*right-click on My Network Places > Properties and then Local Area Network > Properties > TCP/IP > Properties
left-click on Start > Programs > Accessories > Administrative Tools > Network Settings
15. Which of the following is the most popular type of package manager available for Linux?
16. Which two of the following statements are true about Linux scripts? (Choose two.)
Scripts cannot contain loops.
*Scripts are executed in a top down fashion.
*Scripts can be created using the vi text editor.
Scripts cannot contain commands.
A script is part of the OS.
17. Which mode of the vi text editor will be accessed by typing a colon (:)?
18. What is the name of the standard X Window terminal program?
19. Which of the following, when used with the telinit command, will cause a system to read the /etc/inittab file and implement new changes?
20. Which extension is found on the end of files that have been compressed using the compress program?
21. When using Linux, which of the following commands is used to perform a low-level format?
22. Which file system type is recommended for a Linux hard disk partition to be used for applications and data?
23. Which two of the following are common Linux super-servers? (Choose two.)
24. Which three of the following network configuration parameters can be set during installation? (Choose three.)
file server address
*DNS server address
25. Which of the following commands would allow a user to switch from a user account to the root account to execute a program that requires root permissions?
26. Which Linux partition generally contains the kernel?
27. Which three of the following statements correctly describe topologies? (Choose three.)
The physical topology of a network refers to the path data travels from a source to a destination.
*The logical topology of a network refers to the path signals travel from a source to a destination.
*A ring topology can refer to either a physical or logical topology.
A logical topology refers to the actual map and layout of a network.
*A physical topology describes the actual layout of network devices.
28. A technician is setting up a Windows workstation that has an IP address of 192.168.64.23 to work on a network that contains a Linux file server with the IP address 192.168.64.2. What should the technician do to view the IP configuration on the workstation?
*run ipconfig /all on the workstation
run ipconfig 192.168.64.23 on the workstation
run ping 192.168.64.2 on the workstation
run ifconfig addr 192.168.64.23 on the server
run ping 192.168.64.23 on the server
29. A technician is troubleshooting a Windows machine that is not communicating with the network server. The technician verifies that the server is not reachable and ipconfig shows that the workstation is configured properly. What should the technician do next?
ping the default gateway
check the configuration of the server
tracert to the server
30. A technician wishes to load Linux onto a new computer system that currently has no operating system loaded on the single hard drive. The technician wishes to boot from the installation CD but the message 'Media error' keeps appearing. What should the technician do next?
*check the BIOS to make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device
make sure the cable to the CD-ROM is inserted correctly
partition the disk using fdisk
boot from a boot floppy
try booting from a different Linux distribution
31. Which of the following commands can be used to specify the user and group ownership of a file?
32. If the kill command is used on a computer running Linux without specifying a signal, which signal is used by default?
33. Which three of the following statements about memory are true? (Choose three.)
*RAM is faster than the hard disk of a computer.
Hard disks normally have smaller storage capacity than RAM.
*Virtual memory can be used to compensate for a lack of physical memory.
Virtual memory must be managed manually.
*A lack of available RAM will impact the performance of a computer.
34. A technician has determined that the reason a Linux system refuses to boot is that the /etc/fstab file is corrupt. What should the technician do to try to repair the system?
use an MS-DOS boot disk to boot the system and then use the MS-DOS edit utility to repair the /etc/fstab file
*boot the system using an emergency boot disk floppy and then edit the /etc/fstab file on the hard drive
boot the system using the emergency repair disk and then run fdisk /mbr
run the Linux installation program from the installation CD and select Repair fstab when it reaches the disk partitioning step
35. Which of the following directories contains most of the Linux system log files?
36. Which of the following commands will show a listing of all the Linux commands and a brief description?
37. Which of the following situations can be addressed by using the fsck command?
A user has been given the job of creating two new partitions on an existing hard drive.
A user must change the permissions on three existing files without changing any existing permissions on the directory where the files are stored.
*A user must repair the file structure after an unexpected power failure causes a system to abruptly shut down.
A user must batch create home directories for seven new users.
38. The table shows the users and groups that have permission to access a file and the permissions they have in a Windows XP system. If User1 is a member of the User group but not a member of the Administrator group, which users can delete the file?
any member of the Administrator and User groups
*User1 and any member of the Administrator group
any member of the User group only
39. Which tool, native to Windows XP, is used to monitor system resources?
XP Benchmark Tool
40. While using a non-administrator Windows 2000 account, an administrator is asked to add a new user to the system. What is the easiest way for the administrator to create a new user?
The administrator enters Administrator Tools and then clicks on Computer Management. The administrator will then be able to create a new user.
*The administrator enters Administrator Tools without changing to the Administrator account then right-clicks on Computer Management and selects Run as. After entering the Administrator account password the administrator can create a new user.
The administrator clicks on Start > Switch User. The administrator then chooses the Administrator account to create the new user.
The administrator logs out from the the non-administrator account and then logs in as the administrator. The administrator will then be able to create a new user.
41. How can an administrator assist a Windows 2000 user with a forgotten password?
*set a new password for the user in the Computer Management tool
enter the Computer Management tool, click on the user, and then select Properties > Password to display the password
switch to the user account from the administrator account and select Set Password from the Control Panel
log in as the user using the administrator password, enter Ctrl-Alt-Del, and click on Change Password
delete the user account from the Computer Management tool and create a new user account
e-mail Microsoft to request a new password for the account, which will then be e-mailed directly to the user
42. A technician is given a Windows 2000 computer that apparently has an inoperable modem card. What should the technician do first?
take the case off the computer and make sure the modem card is properly seated in the expansion slot
remove the suspect card and replace it with another one to see if the fault goes away
*check in Device Manager to see if there are any icons next to the modem device
left-click on My Computer and then click on Explore to detect any faults within the system
double-click on My Computer and then Dialup Network Connections to determine if Windows recognizes the modem device
43. A user wants to give other network users access to a folder on a Windows 2000 system. After right-clicking on the folder, which item should the user select?
44. Which Microsoft option will use the Internet to contact a vendor's website in search of patches, fixes, and updates?
45. Which of the following Linux commands is used to create a directory?
46. What is the function of the netstat utility?
It displays the manufacturer and version of network devices.
It is the part of the SNMP suite, which collects network usage information.
It is a Linux utility for collecting information about other devices that are connected to a network.
It converts an IP address to a MAC address.
*It displays information about a network such as connections, routing tables, and interfaces.
47. Which command is used to change groups after a user has logged into a system?
48. A new administrator has discovered that kernel messages are not saved to a log file when the system is booted. The LILO boot loader is used. What can the administrator do to correct this?
*put the line dmesg > /var/log/boot.messsages in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
put the line dmesg in the init.conf file
press the F8 button when the system is booted
hold the F6 key down when the system is powered up
put the line messages = /etc/log/boot.messages in lilo.conf
49. What are two steps in the creation of a Windows 2000 or Windows XP script? (Choose two.)
*write the script code and save as ASCII text
make sure the first line of the script defines the scripting language used
compile the script into a bytecode file
compile the script into a binary executable file
*save the script with the appropriate filename extension for the scripting language used
50. Which two of the following standards are necessary for proper virus protection? (Choose two.)
Virus protection software should only be installed on client workstations that have Internet access.
Virus protection software should only be installed on servers that can be accessed by remote clients.
*Virus protection software should be installed on all workstations and servers.
All virus warnings should come from at least two network support technicians.
*One person should be responsible for communicating virus alerts to all users.
51. Which two of the following standards describe proper security for usernames and passwords? (Choose two.)
A complex password convention is less important than having a complex standard regarding usernames.
All passwords should be a short combination of easily remembered letters and numbers so that users will not need to write their passwords down.
*The level of password control for assigning passwords should match the level of protection required.
Both usernames and passwords should periodically expire to ensure maximum security.
*Password expiration and lockout rules should be clearly defined and communicated to network users.
52. What is the name of a free software program that is useful for monitoring security breaches on Linux servers without enhancing security?
53. What allows Linux applications to print to non-PostScript printers?
54. The Apache web server has been installed on a Linux server and is being configured. The administrator wishes to change the location of the web pages that will be served to /home/www and knows that the main configuration file contains this directive. What is the name of the file that needs to be edited?
55. Which four parts of a Linux file system are often located in dedicated partitions? (Choose four.)
56. Which two of the following devices are most likely to have drivers that are already compiled into a modern Linux kernel? (Choose two.)
57. Which of the following statements is true of NIS?
The NIS domain name must be the same as the Internet DNS domain name.
Changes to the NIS database can be made on any NIS server and will be replicated throughout the system.
*Slave servers provide load sharing for the NIS server.
All NIS configuration changes to an NIS client must be performed in an ASCII text editor.
For security purposes, it is recommended that the yppasswd command be used to set a different NIS user password than the one on the local machine.
58. In Windows 2000, which two categories within Computer Management under System Tools store logged information? (Choose two.)
Warnings, Errors, and Alerts
*Performance Logs and Alerts
59. Why might the administrator of a small company choose Windows 2000 Server instead of Windows 2000 Professional?
The operating system is to run on a dual-processor system.
*The system is to act as a DNS server.
The company needs an intranet based on a small web server.
The server will be accessed by up to ten simultaneous users.
60. After configuring Web services with Windows XP, what two methods can be used to view the default web page? (Choose two.)
Users can view the default web page by using the View Web Page tool found under Administrative Tools in the IIS Manager.
*Users can view the default web page by submitting the address http://127.0.0.1 via a web browser on the Windows XP server.
Users can view the default web page by submitting http://www.localstart.asp in the web browser on the Windows XP server.
*Users can view the default web page by submitting the IP address of the Windows XP server via a web browser on the Windows XP server.
61. The administrator of a Windows 2000 system believes that the reason for the reduced performance of the network is due to the condition of the server's disks. What Windows 2000 tool can the administrator use to get the most complete information regarding the status of the disks on the server?
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
*Click on Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
Click on Run and enter msconfig in the text box.
Click Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Management.
62. What is the System Monitor tool?
It is an MS-DOS utility that displays current CPU usage only.
It is an MS-DOS tool that displays information about the usage of a variety of resources.
It is a tool available in Windows 2000 and XP that will display the current state of a number of system resources in a textual format.
*It is a Windows 2000 and XP tool that shows graphically the utilization of a number of system resources over a period of time.